- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced kale (remove center rib from kale before slicing)
- 1/4 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup of grated mild cheddar
- 2 flour tortillas (use corn tortillas for gluten-free version)
- Toasted, shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Creme fresca, creme fraiche or sour cream thinned with a little water so that it's runny
- Sauté bell pepper, onion, add cumin, kale: Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and red onion, cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with ground cumin. Add the thinly sliced kale and toss to combine. Cook a minute more on medium high, then lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes until kales is cooked through and softened, remove from heat.
- Heat the tortilla: Heat a large cast iron pan on medium high to high heat. Spread a little butter over the bottom of the pan. Place a flour tortilla in the pan and heat until you see bubbles of air pockets starting to form. Then flip the tortilla over and lower the heat to medium.
- Add cheese and kale filling to tortilla: Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Place a couple scoops of the kale pepper onion mixture on one side of the tortilla. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the side with the kale. Press down with a spatula. When the cheese on one side has melted, flip the tortilla over to the other side. When the cheese on that side has melted, remove to a cutting board and repeat with the other tortilla and the remaining cheese and filling.
- Cut the "kale"sadilla into thirds and serve.
You may also like
Black Eyed Pea Salsa with Cheese Quesadillas Black-eyed Pea Salsa with green chiles, onions, red bell pepper, served with jack cheese quesadillas Quesadilla Pie Casserole of layers of flour tortillas and shredded cheese, with beans, chiles, tomato, onions, baked in pie dish until browned and crispy. Quesadilla Classic Mexican and Tex Mex cheese quesadilla! Toasted flour tortilla with melted cheese inside. Kimchi Avocado Quesadilla Got kimchi? Make kimchi quesadillas! 15 minutes, one skillet, so easy! With cabbage kimchi, avocado, cheddar and jack cheese, some parsley, and a squirt of lime