- 5 ounces (140 g) almond paste (we recommend Odense almond paste), grated
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) white granulated sugar
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (120 g) plain (full fat) Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 1/2 cups (200 g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 1/3 cup (43 g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease the inside of a 5x9x3-inch loaf pan with butter or with non-stick spray.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the almond paste, starting at a low speed. Slowly add the sugar to the almond paste while beating, gradually increasing the speed, until incorporated. Add the butter, and beat until fluffy, smooth, and almost white, about 5-6 minutes, on high speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating a minute after each addition. Beat in the orange zest, vanilla, and Greek yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter, almond paste, egg mixture, a third at a time, until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Place on lower middle rack of your oven. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until golden brown, and if you press down lightly on the top it springs back at you, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. While it's baking, if you notice it getting too browned, tent it lightly with aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Then carefully remove from the pan to cool completely on a rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. Sift the powdered sugar through a sieve to remove any lumps and place in a medium bowl. Whisk in the orange juice and lemon juice. Stir in the the zest. Add more sugar if the glaze is too runny, add more juice if it is too thick for your taste.
- When the cake has cooled, place it on a serving plate and use a spoon to drizzle the glaze all over it.
You may also like
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Chocolate Frosting Easy chocolate sour cream cake made with sour cream, cocoa powder, and melted chocolate. The perfect balance of decadence and simplicity! Don't forget the chocolate frosting... Suzanne’s Chocolate Cake Rich, moist, three-layer chocolate cake with a butter cocoa frosting. Orange Bread Quick and easy orange bread with fresh grated orange zest, golden raisins, and an optional orange lemon glaze. Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Love red velvet cake? Here it is in cupcake form! Classic red velvet cupcakes with a luscious cream cheese frosting.