- 16-32 small oysters (or scallops), or larger ones cut in half, shucked
- 8-16 slices of thin-cut bacon
- 16-32 wooden toothpicks
- 3-4 limes or lemons
To serve (optional):
- 1/2 cup sliced raw almonds or peanuts
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced lengthways, or other berries
- Working in batches if necessary, cook the bacon slices on medium low heat in a large frying pan, until only about halfway cooked, but not crispy. You need to pre-cook the bacon a bit or else when you cook them with the oysters the oysters will be overcooked by the time the bacon is crispy. Set the bacon aside to cool.
- Get a grill or broiler good and hot while you wrap the oysters.
- To make an angel on horseback, you wrap 1/2 a piece of bacon around the small oyster and secure it with the toothpick. Overlap the edges of the bacon by about an inch if you can.
- Grill or broil over high heat to cook the oyster and crisp the bacon, about 5-6 minutes on the first side, another 2-4 once you turn them over. You will need to turn them once or twice to get a good crispiness on all sides.
- As soon as they come off the heat, squirt with the lemon or lime juice and serve hot.
You may also like
Shrimp, Bacon, Avocado Pasta Salad Summery pasta salad with chipotle marinated shrimp, bacon, avocado, with a lime juice vinaigrette Wilted Watercress Salad with Bacon Dressing Simple wilted watercress salad with fresh peppery watercress and a hot bacon apple cider dressing. Quiche Lorraine Quiche Lorraine with a buttery crust and a tender filling with our favorite food group - bacon! Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts Sweet and sour red cabbage, cooked with bacon, apples, onions, and roasted chestnuts. Great holiday side!