- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel and slice the apples: Peel and slice the apples. Put the slices into a bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) as you work to make them a little more tart (it will intensify their flavor) and keep them from discoloring as you work. Add the cranberries to the bowl.
- Soak the currants in brandy: Place the brandy and the currants in a small bowl. Let sit for at least an hour, until currants are plump. While the currants are soaking in the brandy, peel and slice the apples.
- Make streusel topping: Mix together 1 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of brown sugar in a bowl. Add the butter, cutting it in either with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture forms small lumps.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss apple slices with sugar, flour, zest, spices, brandy, currants: In a separate large bowl mix 1 cup white sugar with 6 Tbsp flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the apples and cranberries to the sugar mixture and toss to coat. Add the currants and brandy to the mixture.
- Put apple filling into pie shell, top with streusel topping: Heap filling into unbaked pie pastry. Sprinkle topping over the filling. Set pie on a baking sheet to catch the juices.
- Bake: Bake on bottom rack until juices bubble, 55 to 65 minutes. If pie browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Set pie on rack, uncovered, to cool for 2 to 3 hours.
You may also like
New England Apple Cheddar Galette Rustic apple tart, New England style with cheddar cheese! Apple Cranberry Pie This apple cranberry pie is one of our favorite pies to make for Thanksgiving or the holidays! Flaky buttery crust, spiced apples mixed with dried cranberries and brandy. Apple Pie Smoothie Tastes like apple pie! Smoothie with applesauce, almond milk, cashews, dates, and vanilla. Extra Thick Apple Pie Mile-high apple pie, extra thick apple pie stacked high with apples, not overly sweet, with a buttery crust