- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel and slice the apples: Peel and slice the apples. Put the slices into a bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) as you work to make them a little more tart (it will intensify their flavor) and keep them from discoloring as you work. Add the cranberries to the bowl.
- Soak the currants in brandy: Place the brandy and the currants in a small bowl. Let sit for at least an hour, until currants are plump. While the currants are soaking in the brandy, peel and slice the apples.
- Make streusel topping: Mix together 1 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of brown sugar in a bowl. Add the butter, cutting it in either with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture forms small lumps.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss apple slices with sugar, flour, zest, spices, brandy, currants: In a separate large bowl mix 1 cup white sugar with 6 Tbsp flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the apples and cranberries to the sugar mixture and toss to coat. Add the currants and brandy to the mixture.
- Put apple filling into pie shell, top with streusel topping: Heap filling into unbaked pie pastry. Sprinkle topping over the filling. Set pie on a baking sheet to catch the juices.
- Bake: Bake on bottom rack until juices bubble, 55 to 65 minutes. If pie browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Set pie on rack, uncovered, to cool for 2 to 3 hours.
You may also like
New England Apple Cheddar Galette Rustic apple tart, New England style with cheddar cheese! Apple Tart (Paleo, Gluten-Free) Paleo and gluten-free apple tart. So stunning on a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday table. Easy food-processor pie crust. Extra Thick Apple Pie Mile-high apple pie, extra thick apple pie stacked high with apples, not overly sweet, with a buttery crust Apple Pie Homemade apple pie with a flaky pie crust and sliced apples, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and brandy