- 1 1/2 pounds apricots, roughly chopped, pits removed and discarded
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (can sub olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth (use gluten-free stock if you are cooking gluten-free)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce (you can add more if you like)
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (omit for vegetarian option)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- Coat apricots with sugar and vinegar: Place the chopped apricots in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and the vinegar. Let sit while you brown the chicken in the next step.
- Brown the chicken in butter and olive oil: In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place chicken pieces in the pan, without crowding the pan, and brown them on each side. As the chicken cooks, sprinkle salt over it. Once the chicken is browned, remove the pieces from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onions: Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. As the onion cooks and releases moisture, use a flat edged spatula or wooden spoon to scrape off the browned bits from the chicken (called fond) from the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken stock: Once the onions have browned a bit, add the chicken stock and lower the heat to medium.
- Purée two thirds of apricots, add to stock: Put about 2/3 of the apricots, along with any juice they have given up, into a blender and blend into a purée. Pour the purée into the pan with the chicken stock and onions.
- Add seasoning, gently simmer: Add the cinnamon, rosemary and Tabasco and taste. You may need to add some salt. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Add chicken and remaining apricot pieces to pan: When you are ready to serve, put the chicken and the remaining apricot pieces into the pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve hot with rice.
You may also like
Chicken Breasts with Mustard Cream Sauce Easy recipe for chicken breasts with a quick mustard cream sauce! Ready in under 30 minutes. Great with rice, pasta, or a green salad. Chicken Marinara Chicken pieces coated with Parmesan and bread crumbs, fried and covered with a tomato basil marinara sauce, and topped with melted Mozzarella. Chicken with Mango Chutney Sauce Roasted chicken thighs served with a sweet sour mango chutney sauce with fresh mangos, onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, ginger, mustard seeds, and red pepper flakes. Chipotle Salsa Baked Chicken Chicken breasts or thighs, smothered in chipotle salsa, topped with Monterey jack cheese, and baked.