- One large, burrito-size (13-inch diameter or larger) flour tortilla
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 or 2 roasted green chiles, peeled, seeded, cut into strips (optional)
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (from 2 whole cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets (See How to Cut and Core Cauliflower)
- 3 cups peeled and diced celeriac (from 1 large root)
- 8 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F with a rack in the middle.
- Butter a flour tortilla all the way to the edges: Place the flour tortilla on a large baking sheet (a dark baking sheet or cookie sheet will work best. Spread the butter all over the top of the tortilla, all the way to the edges. The butter is important for the flavor of a cheese crisp, so don't leave it out!
- Bake the tortilla until lightly toasted: Bake the plain buttered tortilla for about 6 minutes or until it begins to get lightly toasted. (Check on the timing for your particular oven.)
- Sprinkle with cheese, add green chile strips, return to oven: Remove the tortilla from the oven and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese, leaving about 1/2-inch from the edges. Add strips of green chiles in a star pattern if you want. Return the tortilla to the oven and cook for 2 more minutes, or until all of the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and eat! My mother will use her oven's convection setting when she makes these cheese crisps. For convection, she'll put the buttered tortilla into a cold oven and heat on convection at 375°F for 7 to 10 minutes. Then she'll sprinkle the cheese and return the quesadilla to the oven for a couple more minutes.
You may also like
Prosciutto, Melon, and Mozzarella Prosciutto-wrapped melon with Mozzarella cheese, a perfect summertime appetizer! Prosciutto di Parma, honeydew and cantaloupe melons, and fresh cherry-size Mozzarella cheese. Scrambled Eggs with Kale and Mozzarella Cheesy scrambled eggs with onions, thinly sliced kale, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Cheesy Baked Zucchini Noodle Casserole Spiralized zucchini noodles, baked in casserole with sausage tomato sauce, topped with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan cheeses. Low carb and gluten-free! Caramelized Onion Quiche Rich and creamy quiche with caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese.