- 1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted (dark) sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (if seasoned rice vinegar is not available, add a teaspoon or two of sugar to regular rice vinegar)
- 8 cups thinly sliced cabbage (Napa, green, purple, or a combination)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup toasted, salted, shelled, peeled peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 hinly sliced green onions or chives
- Prepare dressing: Place peanut butter in a medium bowl. Add the vegetable oil and the toasted sesame oil and whisk until nicely smooth. Whisk in the seasoned rice vinegar and do a taste test. Depending on how you like your dressing, how salty your peanut butter is, how seasoned your rice vinegar is, you may want to add a little more vinegar, a little more sugar, or a little salt. (Makes about 3/4 cup of dressing.)
- Toast the peanuts: Although the roasted peanuts from the store may already be cooked, you'll get even better flavor with just a little toasting. Heat a small skillet on medium high heat and add the nuts to the pan. Do not ignore or the nuts can easily burn. Stir a little with a wooden spoon until the peanuts begin to get browned in spots and you can smell the toasting aromas. Remove peanuts from pan to a dish.
- Toss together cabbage, carrots, peanuts, dressing: In a large bowl, toss the sliced cabbage, grated carrots, and peanuts together, and any other optional ingredients you care to add (like a little chopped cilantro or green onions). Right before serving, mix in the dressing. Great with fish or burgers.
You may also like
Asian Coleslaw Asian coleslaw with thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, toasted peanuts, with a rice vinegar, peanut, sesame dressing. No Mayo Coleslaw No mayo coleslaw, great for tacos! Cool and crunchy, thinly sliced cabbage with carrots and radishes. Broccoli Slaw with Cranberry Orange Dressing Broccoli slaw, a coleslaw made with broccoli stems, cabbage, and carrots, with a tangy cranberry orange dressing. Jamaican Jerk Burgers Spice up your hamburger with the feisty flavors of Jamaican jerk, habanero, allspice, cinnamon and ginger. Served with a citrus coleslaw.