- 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus, about 1 lb
- 2 Tbsp of the most exquisite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if cooking vegan)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat blanching water: Fill a medium saucepan halfway with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil.
- Prep the asparagus: While the water is heating, prepare the asparagus. Rinse them thoroughly; break off any tough, white bottoms and discard. Cut the spears into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Blanch the asparagus: Add the asparagus to the boiling water and lower the heat slightly to maintain a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes. Drain the hot water.
- Toss with olive oil, Parmesan, lemon zest: While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature. Note that when you are working with so few ingredients, it's important to make sure they are of the highest quality.
You may also like
Easy Sautéed Spinach Easy sautéed spinach! The best way to cook delicious fresh spinach, with olive oil and garlic. Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Shaved brussels sprouts made with thinly sliced brussels sprouts, tossed in lemon juice, sautéed in olive oil with garlic and mustard seeds. Green Beans with Almonds and Thyme Recipe for green beans, boiled first, then sauteed in butter with thyme and toasted almonds. Stir Fried Green Beans with Ginger and Onions Green beans stir fried with ginger, onions, garlic and a little soy sauce.