- 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus, about 1 lb
- 2 Tbsp of the most exquisite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if cooking vegan)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat blanching water: Fill a medium saucepan halfway with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil.
- Prep the asparagus: While the water is heating, prepare the asparagus. Rinse them thoroughly; break off any tough, white bottoms and discard. Cut the spears into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Blanch the asparagus: Add the asparagus to the boiling water and lower the heat slightly to maintain a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes. Drain the hot water.
- Toss with olive oil, Parmesan, lemon zest: While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature. Note that when you are working with so few ingredients, it's important to make sure they are of the highest quality.
You may also like
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Brussels sprouts, oven-roasted with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Broccoli Rabe with Caramelized Onions Broccoli rabe, blanched first to take the edge off the bitterness, then sautéed with caramelized onions, garlic, and a dash of chili pepper. Broccoli Stir Fry with Ginger and Sesame Quick and easy broccoli stir fry with ginger and sesame, takes less than 30 minutes to make, start to finish! Sautéed Kale with Smoked Paprika BEST sautéed kale you will ever taste! Seasoned with smoked paprika and crushed chile pepper flakes.