- 1 bunch of asparagus (about 1 lb)
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 Tbsp)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (skip if using salted butter)
- Pinch of cayenne
- 9 1/2- or 10-inch porcelain or metal tart pan
- Pie weights or dried beans for baking
- Prep the asparagus: Break off the tough ends with your fingers. Bend the asparagus spears near the end and they will break naturally where the spear is no longer tough. For an elegant presentation of the spears, use a vegetable peeler to peel off a very thin layer of the outer skin of the lower two to three inches of the asparagus spears. Prepare a large, shallow pan (with a cover) with a half inch of water and a steamer rack.
- Prepare the Hollandaise sauce: Melt the butter in a small pot. Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne into a blender. Blend the eggs for 20-30 seconds at medium to medium high speed until lighter in color. Turn blender down to lowest setting and slowly drizzle in the hot melted butter while the blender is going. Continue to blend for a few seconds after all of the butter is incorporated. Taste the sauce and add more salt or lemon juice if needed. Keep warm while you are steaming the asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus: Bring the water in your steaming pan to a boil. Place the asparagus on the steaming rack. Cover. Steam for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender, but still a little crisp, definitely not mushy. The timing depends on how thick the asparagus spears are.
- Serve: To serve, plate the asparagus. Pour Hollandaise sauce over them.
You may also like
Blueberry Maple Breakfast Bake Great brunch party bread pudding casserole, with maple syrup and blueberries. Breakfast bake recipe. Tuscan Scrambled Eggs Slow cooked tomatoes and onions are the base for this delicious scrambled eggs recipe. Easy Poached Eggs How to poach an egg, with great results every time. It's easy! Ham and Asparagus Strata Ham and Asparagus Strata! Breakfast casserole with rustic bread, egg, Gruyere cheese, milk, cream, ham, and asparagus