- 1 bunch of asparagus (about 1 lb)
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 Tbsp)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (skip if using salted butter)
- Pinch of cayenne
- 9 1/2- or 10-inch porcelain or metal tart pan
- Pie weights or dried beans for baking
- Prep the asparagus: Break off the tough ends with your fingers. Bend the asparagus spears near the end and they will break naturally where the spear is no longer tough. For an elegant presentation of the spears, use a vegetable peeler to peel off a very thin layer of the outer skin of the lower two to three inches of the asparagus spears. Prepare a large, shallow pan (with a cover) with a half inch of water and a steamer rack.
- Prepare the Hollandaise sauce: Melt the butter in a small pot. Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne into a blender. Blend the eggs for 20-30 seconds at medium to medium high speed until lighter in color. Turn blender down to lowest setting and slowly drizzle in the hot melted butter while the blender is going. Continue to blend for a few seconds after all of the butter is incorporated. Taste the sauce and add more salt or lemon juice if needed. Keep warm while you are steaming the asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus: Bring the water in your steaming pan to a boil. Place the asparagus on the steaming rack. Cover. Steam for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender, but still a little crisp, definitely not mushy. The timing depends on how thick the asparagus spears are.
- Serve: To serve, plate the asparagus. Pour Hollandaise sauce over them.
You may also like
Eggs Nested in Sautéed Chard and Mushrooms Runny eggs, steamed on a bed of sautéed chopped chard, onions, and shiitake mushrooms. Irish Brown Bread REAL Irish Brown Bread! 100% whole wheat. Slice, toast, and spread with Irish butter. Spinach Frittata Quick and easy spinach frittata recipe with eggs, fresh spinach, onions, garlic, Parmesan and goat cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes. Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes Light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes loaded with blueberries! So easy, the perfect pancake breakfast.