- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups chicken stock, plus 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orzo or rice
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast, diced
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- Fresh parsley for garnish
If cooking dry beans:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot and saute the onions over medium-high heat until they are soft and translucent, 4-5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add the orzo or rice.
- When the onions are ready, add the chicken stock and water and bring to a bare simmer. When the orzo or rice is nearly done — firm, but mostly cooked — drain the boiling water and add the pasta or rice to the chicken broth. Add the diced chicken breast to the pot. Let this cook 5-8 minutes, then taste the soup for salt.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Whisking constantly, add the lemon juice to the eggs. You will need to temper the eggs before you add the egg-lemon mixture to the soup. It takes both hands to do this. With one hand, whisk the egg-lemon mixture vigorously. With the other, slowly pour in a ladle's worth of hot broth. Do this at least twice, and you can add as many ladle's worth of broth as you want to the mixture.
- Turn the heat off the soup. Whisk the soup with one hand while you pour the hot egg-lemon mixture in with the other. Serve at once, garnished with parsley.
You may also like
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sage Sauce Skinless, boneless chicken breasts with a creamy mushroom sauce with vermouth, cream, and sage. How to Poach Chicken, the Quick and Easy Way Poaching chicken is the EASIEST way to cook chicken for quick weeknight meals! Great for making shredded or sliced chicken for easy soups, lunch salads, burrito bowls, and more. Grilled Lime Chicken with Black Bean Sauce Lime marinated grilled chicken cutlets! With a thick and creamy black bean sauce. Broccoli, Chicken, and Almond Sauté Broccoli, first blanched, then sautéed briefly with sliced grilled chicken, toasted almonds, sesame oil, and red chile flakes.