- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled (see How to Cut and Peel an Avocado)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or a tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Sandwich bread or salad greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
- 3 cups* chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the chicken, avocado, apple, celery, and red onion in a medium bowl. Gently mash the avocado with a fork and stir it around so that everything gets well mixed.
- Add the cilantro or parsley, lime juice or lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add more lime juice or salt to taste. If the mixture seems a little dry, you can stir in a teaspoon or two of olive oil. To store, place in a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap so that no part of the chicken salad is exposed to air. Will keep a couple of days in the fridge. Serve on sandwich bread, toasted bread, or salad greens (I recommend arugula or watercress for extra zing).
You may also like
Herb Stuffed Roast Chicken Whole roasted chicken, infused with fresh herbs - parsley, basil, thyme, oregano. Chicken with Mango Chutney Sauce Roasted chicken thighs served with a sweet sour mango chutney sauce with fresh mangos, onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, ginger, mustard seeds, and red pepper flakes. Chicken Normandy Chicken browned and braised in apple cider and brandy, cooked with apple slices and onions, served with a cream sauce. Chicken Stew with Onions, Tomatoes, and Dijon Easy and hearty chicken stew recipe with loads of red onions and tomatoes! Seasoned with Dijon mustard.