- 2 large globe artichokes
- 4 slices lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (from 6 slices white bread)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) apricot preserves
- Make fresh breadcrumbs: Cut off the crust from 6 slices of bread. Chop the centers and put into a food processor. Pulse until you have coarse breadcrumbs.
- Make the stuffing: In a large bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped parsley, minced oregano, 1/2 cup olive oil, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Prep the artichokes: Cut off the stem, leaving 1/2 inch from the bottom row of leaves. Using kitchen scissors, cut off 1/2-inch of the tips of all of the artichoke leaves. Cut 1 inch from the top of the artichoke. (It helps to use a serrated knife like a bread knife for this.) Take a slice of lemon and rub over the cut edges of the artichokes to keep them from turning brown.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Stuff the artichokes: Use your finger to gently pull open the center leaves of the artichokes. Pull out the inner tender yellow artichoke leaves. Use a small metal spoon to scrape and scoop out all of the inner fuzzy choke. Note that removing the choke at this stage isn't entirely necessarily, and it does require some elbow grease. That said, it makes eating the st￭ artichoke a much easier, and more enjoyable experience. Place artichokes on a sheet pan (to catch the breadcrumbs) and start stuffing the artichoke with your stuffing mix. Put some stuffing mix between each large leaf and the artichoke, as well as a generous amount in the center.
- Bake the artichokes: Put about 1/2-inch of hot water in the bottom of a baking dish that will snugly hold the artichokes. Add 2 slices of lemon, a bay leaf, 2 cloves garlic to the water. Place the artichokes sitting upright in the water. Drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil. Pierce the foil a few times with the tip of a sharp knife (to vent steam). Bake for 1 hour at 375°F (190°C), or until a knife easily penetrates the heart of the artichoke or you can easily remove one of the outer petals. (Depending on the size of the artichoke baking time can vary from 50 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes.) Remove artichokes to a serving dish to serve.
You may also like
How to Trim an Artichoke Here's a simple photo tutorial on how to trim an artichoke down to its heart. Quick and Easy Artichoke Dip Quick and EASY hot artichoke dip! Takes only 15 minutes to make. With artichoke hearts, Parmesan, mayo, salt, pepper Artichoke Lemon Dip Creamy artichoke dip made with artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese, lemon, parsley, garlic, and cream cheese. Artichoke and Shrimp Risotto Shrimp and Artichoke Risotto! Risotto rice, clam stock, wine, artichoke hearts, and paprika seasoned shrimp.