- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup of pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are fine alternatives)
- 4 - 5 pint-size canning jars
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise. Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and spices. Add to the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold pecans or chocolate chips (if using) into the batter.
- Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.
You may also like
Sugar Cookies Two tried-and-true, fabulous sugar cookie recipes. Old fashioned, easy to make buttery cookies, perfect to decorate for any occasion. Photos and step-by-step instructions. BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with browned butter, chocolate chips, and pecans. Pumpkin Cookies Soft and moist pumpkin cookies, with rolled oats, pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds, dried currants, and spiced with cinnamon and cardamon. Chinese Almond Cookies Bring in the new year (Chinese New Year that is) with these classic Chinese almond cookies.