- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot or 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Gently cook the onion, carrot, celery, and parsley: Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.
- Add garlic: Remove cover and add the minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium high. Cook for garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper, then simmer: Add the tomatoes, including the juice and shredding them with your fingers if you are using canned whole tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes. Optional, purée for smooth sauce: If you want you can push the sauce through a food mill, or purée it in a blender or with an immersion blender, to give it a smooth consistency.
You may also like
Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce Penne pasta with a tomato meat sauce, with ground beef, onions, Italian seasoning, garlic, and basil. Pasta with Butternut Parmesan Sauce Butternut Parmesan Pasta! Pasta served with a sauce of roasted butternut squash, shallots, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce Vibrant red bell pepper pasta sauce, made with roasted red bell peppers, garlic, onion, sage, anchovies, tomato paste, red wine, paprika, Parmesan Basic Tomato Sauce A good tomato sauce is the basis for so many dishes—pizza, pasta, chicken, and fish. Here is a delicious basic tomato sauce recipe. Marinara sauce.