- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- A small pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced root to tip
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, rice bran oil or Indian ghee
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 12-20 fresh basil leaves, torn roughly
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
- 3 cups* chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the spices: In a small bowl, mix together the salt, ground coriander, cumin, ground cloves, cinnamon, ground cardamom, black pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, jalapeños, ginger, garlic, spices: In a wok or deep sauté pan, heat the oil over high heat. The moment the oil begins to smoke, add the onions and jalapeños and toss to coat in oil. Sear the vegetables for 3 minutes, stirring only enough to keep them from burning, but still allowing the onions to sear. Add the ginger, garlic and spice mixture and toss to combine, cook for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, chicken, simmer: Add the coconut milk and chicken. Stir the mixture so that the chicken pieces are coated in the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add basil, lime juice: When the chicken is tender, turn off the heat and add the basil and lime juice. Add more lime juice and salt to taste and serve over rice.
You may also like
Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken and Rice Bowls Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken and Rice Bowls! Just like fast food take-out, but better. Use the pot-in-pot method to cook the chicken and rice together in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Sheet Pan Chicken with Asparagus and Potatoes Sheet pan chicken with asparagus and potatoes to celebrate spring! Everything cooks together until tender. Really easy and only one pan to clean! Herbed Chicken Tenders with Tomato Sauce Chicken tenders, baked with an herbed breadcrumb coating, served with simple Italian tomato dipping sauce. Chicken Mango Lettuce Wraps Chicken Mango Lettuce wraps are light and nourishing, made with stir fried chicken, shiitake mushrooms, and diced mango, served in wraps of lettuce!