- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice (which will yield 5 to 6 cups cooked rice)
- 3 cups water (or more, depending on the package instructions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2-inch strips of fresh lemon zest (use a vegetable peeler to take just the zest, not the whole peel, off of a fresh lemon)
- 2 cups shelled English peas (from about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of shell-on peas), or 2 cups of frozen peas
- Salted water for blanching (1 quart water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins or currants, plumped in enough water to cover the raisins for 5 to 10 minutes, then drained
- 1/2 cup minced green onions, including the greens (about 2 green onions)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh mint leaves (spearmint)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sour cream sauce:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice according to package instructions; include salt in the cooking water along with 2 strips of lemon zest.
- If using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling salted water for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the size and freshness of the peas (larger older peas will take longer than smaller fresher peas). Strain peas from blanching water and place in a bowl of ice water to shock them and stop the cooking, then strain. If using frozen peas, they are already blanched, so defrost them by placing them in a strainer and running lukewarm water over them for a minute.
- Once the rice is cooked, spread the rice out on a large baking sheet pan to cool quickly. Let cool for 10 minutes, or until room temperature. Place in a large serving bowl.
- To the rice add the peas, raisins, green onions, mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Toss to combine and serve.
You may also like
Mint Ricotta Stuffed Shells Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with mint and ricotta, baked with Italian sausage tomato sauce. So good! Snow Peas with Pine Nuts and Mint Snow peas lightly sauteed and tossed with toasted pine nuts, mint, garlic, olive oil, and sesame oil. Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, made with fresh mint, milk, cream, a custard base, and semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Seared Sugar Snap Peas Sugar snap peas seared in olive oil with green onions, mint, lemon zest and black pepper.