- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice (which will yield 5 to 6 cups cooked rice)
- 3 cups water (or more, depending on the package instructions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2-inch strips of fresh lemon zest (use a vegetable peeler to take just the zest, not the whole peel, off of a fresh lemon)
- 2 cups shelled English peas (from about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of shell-on peas), or 2 cups of frozen peas
- Salted water for blanching (1 quart water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins or currants, plumped in enough water to cover the raisins for 5 to 10 minutes, then drained
- 1/2 cup minced green onions, including the greens (about 2 green onions)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh mint leaves (spearmint)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sour cream sauce:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice according to package instructions; include salt in the cooking water along with 2 strips of lemon zest.
- If using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling salted water for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the size and freshness of the peas (larger older peas will take longer than smaller fresher peas). Strain peas from blanching water and place in a bowl of ice water to shock them and stop the cooking, then strain. If using frozen peas, they are already blanched, so defrost them by placing them in a strainer and running lukewarm water over them for a minute.
- Once the rice is cooked, spread the rice out on a large baking sheet pan to cool quickly. Let cool for 10 minutes, or until room temperature. Place in a large serving bowl.
- To the rice add the peas, raisins, green onions, mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Toss to combine and serve.
You may also like
Radish Salad with Mint and Pistachios Fresh red radish salad with mint, shallots, lemon, and toasted pistachios. Chocolate Mint Cupcakes If Thin Mints were cupcakes, they would be these! Dark chocolate, minty, cakey cupcakes. Green Mojito Smoothie This non-alcoholic mojito smoothie will change your mind about green smoothies forever! Made with coconut water, kale, pineapple, mint, and lime. Limeade with Mint Refreshing limeade served with sprigs of mint! PERFECT drink on a hot summer day.