For the BBQ sauce (or substitute 3/4 to 1 cup bottled sauce):
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (apple cider vinegar also works)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey (light brown sugar or maple syrup also works)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
For the burrito bowls:
- 1 pound (450g) chicken breasts (or substitute 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water, for cooking the chicken
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or substitute 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped into strips
- 1 cup pico de gallo or your favorite salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese, optional
- Crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Do-ahead steps:
- Make the barbecue sauce (or substitute 3/4 to 1 cup bottled sauce): Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. When the sauce starts bubbling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off heat. You should have about 1 2/3 cups of sauce. (A word of warning: this sauce splatters everywhere once it heats up. Be prepared to wipe down your stovetop and countertops after making this!) The sauce will keep for 1 to 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Cook the chicken (or substitute 2 cups shredded cooked chicken): Place the chicken breasts in a 4-quart or larger pot with a lid and pour the chicken broth over top. The chicken should be covered by about an inch; add additional broth or water if needed. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked through and registers 165F in the thickest part. Cook another few minutes if needed. Use tongs to transfer the cooked chicken breasts to a cutting board to cool briefly. When the chicken is cool, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- Cook the rice (or substitute 3 cups cooked rice): Combine the rice with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 cups of water (or enough to cover by about an inch). Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then lower the heat and cover. Cook until the rice is tender, 35 to 45 minutes (or according to package instructions). Check occasionally and add more water if the pan seems dry before the rice is cooked. Cool the cooked rice, and then transfer to a storage container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days. To assemble the burrito bowls:
- Mix the chicken with the barbecue sauce: Warm the barbecue sauce for a few minutes in a small pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the barbecue sauce. Leave the chicken in the pan until it has warmed through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Warm the corn and beans: Heat the corn and black beans together or separately in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to your corn and beans and turn off heat.
- Warm the rice in the microwave or on a pan. If you are using the microwave, pour the rice into a large bowl and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave the rice on high for about 1 minute. Check to see if the rice has warmed through. If it is still cold in some spots, give everything a stir and continue microwaving at 15-second intervals, until the rice is heated to your liking.
- Assemble the burrito bowls: Divide the rice, chicken, corn, beans, romaine lettuce, and pico de gallo into 4 bowls. Top with cheese, if using, and then crush a few tortilla chips on top of each bowl for extra crunch.
You may also like
Enchiladas Family favorite, Tex Mex cheese enchiladas recipe. Corn tortillas, lightly fried, rolled up with Jack or cheddar cheese, arranged in a casserole dish, covered with tomato and green chile sauce, and baked. Pasta with Tuna and Capers in White Wine Sauce Pasta served with a sauce made with oil-packed canned tuna, onions, capers, white wine, and parsley. Baked Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic Quick and easy! Chicken thighs baked with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary. Parmesan Chicken BEST Parmesan Chicken recipe ever! Chicken parts dipped in melted butter, dredged in bread crumbs and Parmesan, and baked until crisp.