- 1 pound dry Great Northern white beans, covered with a couple inches of water and soaked overnight
- 5 ounces of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs of celery)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots (1 large carrot)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ounce bacon (1 to 2 slices), cooked and crumbled for garnish (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin
- 4 drumsticks, bone-in with skin
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Drain the beans: Drain the beans that have been soaking in water. (If you haven't already soaked the beans, and you don't have time to do so overnight, you can put them in a large pot of water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for an hour, then drain.)
- Cook the bacon and vegetables: Put the bacon into a large (5 to 6 quart) thick-bottomed Dutch oven on medium high heat. Let the bacon cook for a minute or two to start rendering out some of its fat, then add the chopped onion, celery, and carrots. Lower the heat to low, cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are completely cooked through and softened. Add the garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add beans, stock, seasonings, simmer: Add the drained beans to the pot. Add the stock, the bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high to bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until the beans are very soft.
- Add tomato paste and paprika: Stir in the tomato paste and the paprika. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Purée half the soup: Remove the bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, purée most of the soup. You don't want the soup to be perfectly smooth, but you want to purée enough of it so that the beans create a creamy base. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with crumbled cooked bacon and chopped parsley to serve.
You may also like
Pressure Cooker Ground Beef Chili 30-minute beef chili in the pressure cooker! Made with green peppers, onions, celery, ground beef, and tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese and sliced green onions. Gluten-free. Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Black beans cooked with onions, chili peppers, garlic, oregano, red chili sauce, chipotle, cumin, orange juice and lime. Black Bean Burrito Bowl Burrito Bowl! With black beans, rice, avocados, salsa, red cabbage, and lime. Black Bean Salad A fresh black bean salad, perfect for a summer picnic or potluck. Red bell peppers, jalapeños, avocado, black beans and corn combined to give this salad its kick and fresh flavors.