- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 pounds beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms, quartered if small or 1/4-inch sliced
- 1 quart beef or chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrot
- 3 cups celery root, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch to 1-inch chunks
- Black pepper
- About 1/2 cup sour cream (around 1 Tbsp sour cream per serving)
- Dill for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, crumbled, or 1 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sear the beef: In a large, thick-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add enough pieces of the beef to sear in the pot without crowding. You will need to brown the meat in several batches. Salt the beef as it cooks, and set aside browned pieces in a bowl.
- Sauté the onions: When all the beef has browned, add the onions. As the onions release some of their water, use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle a little salt over the onions as they cook. Lower the heat to medium and cook the onions until they begin to brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms: When the onions have lightly browned, mix in the mushrooms and increase the heat to high. Cook the mushrooms until they release their water, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add back beef, add marjoram, stock, water, then simmer: Add the beef back to the pot and sprinkle with marjoram. Add 1 cup of the stock and use the wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the rest of the stock and water and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot, lower the heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Add barley, celery root, carrots, continue to simmer: Add the barley, celery root and carrots, stir well and recover the pot. Simmer gently until the barley and celery root are tender, between 40 minutes and an hour.
- Serve with sour cream and dill: Ladle servings into bowls, then top with a dollop of sour cream and a few sprigs of dill. Grind a little black pepper over right before you serve. To eat, stir in the sour cream.
You may also like
Grilled Beef and Mushroom Burger Ground beef and porcini grilled burger, topped with Swiss cheese and sautéed onions and shiitake mushrooms. Italian Meatballs Classic Italian-American style meatballs, huge, pillowy soft and loaded with herbs and cheese, mixed with ground beef and pork, served with a traditional tomato sauce. Braised Beef Short Ribs Beef short ribs, braised in red wine and veal stock with onion, celery, and carrots. Cowboy Steak with Chimichurri Sauce Frenched beef rib-eye steak seared first to brown, then cooked on lower heat to finish, served with parsley, oregano, garlic chimichurri sauce.