- 3-4 lbs oxtails, patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch sections
- Zest of one orange, removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 quarts water
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries (if in season, otherwise use a quarter of a lemon)
- 10 oz mushrooms, chopped coarse
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch sections
- 4 sprigs of thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- Enough lasagna noodles to make four layers in a 13x9-inch baking pan with the lasagna pieces overlapping each other a little bit.
- Recommended 16 sheets of De Cecco brand Italian lasagna noodles.
- Roast the oxtails, carrots, onions: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Pat dry the oxtails with paper towels and put them in a roasting pan. Sprinkle on all sides with salt and pepper. Add the carrots, onions, and zest. Roast in the middle rack, turning the oxtails as the are browned. Once browned, remove from oven and place the oxtails and vegetables into a large stockpot.
- Deglaze the roasting pan: Place the roasting pan on the stovetop on medium high heat. Add the wine to the pan to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Simmer the oxtails and other ingredients: Add the deglazing liquid to the stockpot with the oxtails. Add the cranberries, mushrooms, celery, thyme, bay leaf, cloves, and peppercorns. Bring the liquid to a boil, skimming whatever foam rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Strain the bouillon from the oxtails: Ladle the mixture through a sieve lined with cheesecloth or paper towels into a large bowl. Reserve the oxtails for another use, such as oxtail pate. Discard the remaining solids. The bouillon can be made 3 days in advance and kept chilled. Discard excess fat (leave enough to cover soup when chilled).
You may also like
Guinness Bread with Molasses All of the rich malty goodness of Irish Guinness in a quick bread with molasses! Arroz Con Pollo Classic dish of Spain and Latin America, this arroz con pollo recipe is browned chicken cooked with rice, onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Peppermint Ice Cream Homemade peppermint ice cream, perfect for the holidays! Step-by-step instructions with photos. Cauliflower Purée Quick and easy puréed cauliflower recipe with sour cream and butter.