- 1 pound beet greens
- 1 strip of thick cut bacon, chopped (or a tablespoon of bacon fat)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp of cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- A Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup good quality olive oil
- Rinse and cut the beet greens: Rinse the beet greens in a sink filled with cold water. Drain greens and rinse a second time. Drain greens and cut away any heavy stems. Cut leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté the bacon, onions, garlic: In a large skillet or 3-qt saucepan, cook bacon until lightly browned on medium heat (or heat 1 Tbsp of bacon fat). Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to brown. Stir in garlic, cook a minute more.
- Add water, sugar, red pepper flakes: Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add beet greens, cook until tender, add vinegar: Add the beet greens, gently toss in the onion mixture so the greens are well coated. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes until the greens are tender. Stir in the vinegar. (For kale or collard greens continue cooking additional 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness.)
You may also like
Red Flannel Hash A New England tradition, red flannel hash made with cooked potatoes, beets, corned beef, fried up with onions and butter. Beet Greens Delicious way to serve beet greens and other greens such as collard or kale. Beet greens recipe with bacon, garlic, onion, sugar, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Avocado Beet Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette Simple and healthy, Beet and Avocado salad, sprinkled with pistachios and drizzled with a citrusy vinaigrette! Pickled Eggs Pickled eggs! Four ways. Brilliant fuchsia red beet pickled eggs, a Indian version featuring yellow curry, jalapeno pickled eggs, and a tarragon mustard version.