- 1 pound beet greens
- 1 strip of thick cut bacon, chopped (or a tablespoon of bacon fat)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp of cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- A Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup good quality olive oil
- Rinse and cut the beet greens: Rinse the beet greens in a sink filled with cold water. Drain greens and rinse a second time. Drain greens and cut away any heavy stems. Cut leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté the bacon, onions, garlic: In a large skillet or 3-qt saucepan, cook bacon until lightly browned on medium heat (or heat 1 Tbsp of bacon fat). Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to brown. Stir in garlic, cook a minute more.
- Add water, sugar, red pepper flakes: Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add beet greens, cook until tender, add vinegar: Add the beet greens, gently toss in the onion mixture so the greens are well coated. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes until the greens are tender. Stir in the vinegar. (For kale or collard greens continue cooking additional 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness.)
You may also like
Roasted Root Vegetables with Tomatoes and Kale A ragout of roasted root vegetables—parsnips, carrots, beets, rutabagas—with tomatoes and kale Roasted Beets with Balsamic Glaze Ruby red beets, oven roasted, then tossed with a little orange zest and a balsamic glaze. Festive Beet Citrus Salad with Kale and Pistachios Colorful Beet and Kale Salad with red and golden beets, blood orange slices, kale, and toasted pistachios. Paleo and Vegan. Autumn Tabbouleh with Cauliflower, Carrots, and Golden Beets Autumn Tabbouleh is the perfect make-ahead side dish! With cauliflower, carrots, and golden beets. 30 minute prep.