- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 oz, 225 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (large), lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut (optional)
- 3 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats (Quick oats are okay, but not steel cut, not instant)
For the broccolini
- 1 pound (460g) broccolini
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus more to taste
- Brown the butter: Place sticks of butter in a thick-bottomed medium sized stainless-steel saucepan. (It's important to use a saucepan that has a light, reflective interior like stainless steel, otherwise you won't be able to see the butter browning.) Heat on medium. Melt the butter, whisking so that the butter melts evenly. Continue to cook the butter. As it cooks, the butter will foam up, and then the foam will subside. Whisk frequently to check underneath the bubbly surface. At some point, browned bits will form at the bottom of the pan and the butter will begin to smell nutty. Watch carefully, it's easy for the butter to go from browned to burnt. When the browned bits begin to form, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the melted butter, with the browned bits, into a glass or metal bowl. Allow to cool a bit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and spices: Vigorously whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- Beat the sugars with the browned butter, add eggs and vanilla: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the browned butter (along with the browned bits) in a mixer bowl. Add the brown and white sugar. Beat on medium high speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat for three more minutes on medium speed until smooth and light.
- Stir in flour mixture and some water: Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the butter sugar egg mixture. Stir in 2 Tbsp water (note that if you are using jumbo eggs, and not large eggs as the recipe calls for, you will probably not need this much extra liquid.)
- Stir in chocolate chips and oatmeal: Stir in the chocolate chips, and the pecans and shredded coconut (if using). Stir in the oatmeal. Up to this point you can make the dough up to a day and a half ahead and store in the refrigerator.
- Spoon cookie dough onto lined cookie sheets: Butter two large cookie sheets, or line them with Silpat mats or parchment paper. Spoon out heaping tablespoon-fuls of cookie dough and lay them on the cookie sheet. Make sure you have about 2" of space between each cookie, as they will flatten a little and spread on the cookie sheet.
- Bake: Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes, or until they are just brown around the edges, but still soft in the center. They will firm up as they cool. (If you want them crispier, you can bake them from 12-14 minutes. 10 minutes will help yield a more chewy cookie.)
- Cool: Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool for two or three minutes on the hot baking sheet. Then, using a metal spatula, carefully transfer the still-hot cookies to a wire rack to cool. They will continue to be soft until completely cooled. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.
You may also like
Squid Ink Pasta with Pumpkin, Sage and Browned Butter Squid ink pasta tossed with sage brown butter and served in a baked pumpkin. How to Brown Butter Take your recipes up a notch with the nutty aroma of browned butter. It's easy! Broiled Lobster Tail with Brown Butter Sauce Broiled lobster tail with a sauce of brown butter and toasted hazelnuts BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with browned butter, chocolate chips, and pecans.