- 1 pound dried black beans (about 2 cups), rinsed, soaked in 4 quarts of water overnight or 6 hours, drained
- 1 lb smoked ham hock or shank
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine (2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups, chopped) (can substitute 2 large carrots)
- 1 carrot, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 2 cups chicken stock (add 2 teaspoons of salt if using unsalted stock)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 Tbsp lime juice (can substitute lemon juice)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Avocado, peeled and chopped
For the burrito bowls:
- 1 pound (450g) chicken breasts (or substitute 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water, for cooking the chicken
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or substitute 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped into strips
- 1 cup pico de gallo or your favorite salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese, optional
- Crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Place beans and ham hock in a 4-quart, thick-bottomed pot. Add 5 cups water, bay leaves, salt and baking soda. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and let cook 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Remove ham hock from the pot. Cut ham meat away from the bone and cut into small, bite-sized pieces, set aside.
- While the beans are cooking, heat olive oil in a large 8-quart thick-bottomed pot on medium high until the oil is hot, but not smoking. Add the onions, celery, carrot, sweet potato and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the cumin, chili powder, and garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Once the beans are tender, add the beans, their cooking liquid, chicken stock, molasses, and bell pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup (about half of it) to a blender. Purée until smooth and return to the pot of soup. (You may need to purée the soup in smaller portions, depending on the size of your blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way at a time and hold the lid while blending.) Or use an immersion blender to purée just half of the soup. Add back the ham pieces to the soup. Add 3 Tbsp of lime juice. Adjust seasonings. If on the sweet side, add a bit more lime juice. Salt to taste. Serve with garnishes. Note that the soup may continue to thicken. If you would like it thinner, just add some water to desired consistency.
You may also like
Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Black beans cooked with onions, chili peppers, garlic, oregano, red chili sauce, chipotle, cumin, orange juice and lime. Black Bean Burrito Bowl Burrito Bowl! With black beans, rice, avocados, salsa, red cabbage, and lime. Black Bean Turkey Chili EASY Black Bean Chili! with ground turkey, black beans, and red bell pepper Easy Black Beans and Rice Quick and easy black beans and rice with onion, bell pepper, garlic, Tabasco, oregano, and white rice.