- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted and drained) blackberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet your berries and how sweet you would like your slump to be)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup water
- Make the dumplings: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your clean hands, cut the butter into the flour until the flour resembles a coarse meal. Add the milk all at once and stir until the flour is just moistened. Handling the dough as little as possible, form into a ball. Set aside.
- Heat berries with sugar, cinnamon, lemon, water until boiling: In a 2-qt saucepan, add the berries, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest, and water. Heat until boiling, stirring a few times so that the berries are well coated with the sauce.
- Add chunks of dumpling dough: Once the berry mixture is boiling, tear off spoonful chunks from the dough ball and drop onto the fruit around the edges of the pot. You should have enough dough for 6 dumplings.
- Cover and simmer: Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes, without peeking at the dumplings. Place dumplings in serving bowls and top with berries. Serve with cream or ice cream. Serve hot or chilled.
You may also like
Blackberry Muffins The BEST rich, tender, delicious blackberry muffins! These muffins are a family favorite, filled with juicy berries. Blackberry Shortcake Blackberry shortcake with blackberries, butter and cream biscuits, and whipped cream Blackberry Slump Blackberry Slump! Blackberries cooked on the stovetop with sugar and lemon, topped with dumplings. Blackberry Pie The best blackberry pie ever. No kidding! All butter crust, loads of blackberries, spiced with a little lemon, cinnamon, and almond extract. Yum.