- 2-3 slices thick smoked bacon
- 1-2 thin slices of a fresh, large tomato
- 1-2 ounces (a couple handfuls) fresh baby arugula (can substitute watercress)
- 2 slices of bread
For the salad:
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in half
- 1/2 pound green beans, preferably haricots verts, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 heirloom tomatoes of varying colors, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 medium ripe avocadoes, sliced
- Kernels from 2 medium ears of cooked corn (about 2 cups)
- Leaves from 1 head Boston lettuce, or salad greens of your choice
- Cook the bacon: Heat a large sauté pan or cast iron pan on medium low heat. Lay the strips of bacon in a single layer on the pan. Slowly cook the bacon, rendering out the fat, until lightly browned on one side. Using a fork or tongs, turn the strips of bacon over to cook the other side. When the bacon strips are sufficiently cooked remove from pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess fat. Pour out excess fat from the pan (leaving about half a teaspoon in the pan) into a jar or a container to either dispose of or to store. (Never pour bacon grease down the sink, it will clog your pipes.)
- Wilt the arugula: In the same pan, add handfuls of fresh baby arugula or watercress. Toss in the remaining remaining fat. As soon as the greens start to wilt, remove from heat and remove from the pan to stop the cooking.
- Toast bread, build sandwich: Toast bread slices in a toaster. Spread mayonnaise (or your favorite spread, butter will do too) over the slices. Layer the sandwich with bacon, sliced tomato, and lightly wilted arugula. Cut on the diagonal. Eat immediately.
You may also like
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts Thinly sliced brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and onions, then tossed with roasted chestnuts, thyme and a little lemon juice. Sautéed Chestnuts, Onions, and Bacon Roasted chestnuts, sautéed with pearl onions and bacon, for a festive holiday side dish. Classic German Potato Salad Classic German Potato Salad! Thick-sliced potatoes tossed with bacon, onions, herbs, and vinaigrette. Serve hot, warm, or cool. Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Bacon-wrapped shrimp! Either oven baked or grilled, and seasoned with chili and lime.