- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspon salt
- 14 ounces blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 pound pepper jack or monterey jack (or a mix), shredded
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the burrito bowls:
- 1 pound (450g) chicken breasts (or substitute 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water, for cooking the chicken
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or substitute 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped into strips
- 1 cup pico de gallo or your favorite salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese, optional
- Crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Poach the chicken breast: Place chicken breast(s) in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Add the salt. Cover. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Let sit covered for 10 minutes in the hot salted water to gently poach. Drain. Remove from pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the cheese sauce: If you have a double boiler, use it. Otherwise put an inch of water in a small pot and place a medium metal bowl on top of it to create a double boiler effect. Put the shredded cheese in the bowl and toss to coat with the cornstarch. Pour in the heavy cream and milk. Turn on the heat and bring the water in the pot to a boil. Slowly heat up the milk cream cheese mixture until eventually the cheese melts, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Heat tortilla chips in oven: While the cheese is heating, spread the tortilla chips out in a large baking sheet and put in the oven at 350°F. Heat for 5 minutes. Then remove from the oven.
- Cut the cooked chicken into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes.
- Top tortilla chips with cheese sauce, chicken, and salsa: When the cheese sauce is melty and smooth, put the heated tortilla chips on a platter and pour the cheese sauce over it. Top with cooked chicken and pico de gallo tomato salsa.
You may also like
Paleo Chicken Adobo Easy gluten-free and paleo version of Philippine Chicken Adobo! Easy stovetop dinner. Tangy, tasty, perfect with rice! Bourbon Maple Glazed Chicken Wings Perfect party chicken wings! With a tasty glaze made with Bourbon whisky and maple syrup. Martha’s Chinese Chicken Salad A Chinese chicken salad that combines toasted sesame seeds, almonds, and fried puffed bean threads. Topped with a dark sesame oil and vinegar dressing. Buffalo Wings Baked buffalo wings! Chicken wings marinated in a spicy sauce, broiled, served with a tangy delicious blue cheese sauce