- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup water
- Vanilla ice cream or whipping cream for serving
- Make the dumplings: In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes and use your clean hands to work the pieces of butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Make a well in the center and add the milk. Mix together with a fork or wooden spoon just until the dough comes together. Form it into a ball. It should be rather shaggy. Do not knead or over work it or the dumplings will be tough.
- Heat the blueberries: Place the blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and water into a medium (2 quart) saucepan. Stir so that the berries are well coated with everything. Heat on high heat until the berries start to boil.
- Add the dumplings: When the blueberry mixture is boiling, pull off clumps of dumpling dough from the ball of dough and place on top of the berries. You should have enough dough for 6 dumplings, so portion accordingly.
- Cover and cook: Cover the pan, and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook for 25 minutes. Do not uncover to peek at the dumplings while cooking! The dumplings need the steady steam and pressure from being covered to cook properly so they are light and fluffy.
- Serve: Portion into individual serving bowls and top with vanilla ice cream or whipping cream.
You may also like
Blueberry Shortcake Blueberry Shortcake! With simmering blueberries, homemade biscuits, and whipped cream. American Flag Pie How to make an American Flag Pie in a sheet-pan, perfect for Fourth of July! With a homemade crust and blueberry and strawberry filling. Berry Cobbler with Coconut Walnut Streusel Berry Cobbler with a delicious blend of fresh blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, and strawberries. Topped with a coconut walnut streusel! Berry Tart Summer berry tart with an all-butter crust, mascarpone cheese and whipped cream base, covered with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.