- 2 oz. Diced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Spanish onion or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 11 oz Ground beef
- 4 oz Ground pork
- 4 oz Ground Italian sausage
- 1 freshly ground clove
- Dash of freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb peeled and chopped tomatoes (or 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, packed in water)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the soffritto. Combine pancetta, onion, celery, and carrot in sauté pan with butter and cook over medium heat until onion turns pale gold.
- Add the beef, pork, sausage to the soffritto, and increase the heat to high; cook until browned. Sprinkle with the clove, cinnamon, and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. If you are using whole canned tomatoes, break them up as you add them to the sauce.
- Add milk and season with sea salt. Then turn down the heat and simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours. Stir at least every 20 minutes. Whenever the sauce gets too dry and starts sticking to the pan, just add 1/4 cup of water and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Can easily freeze for future use. Serve with pasta.
You may also like
Cioppino San Francisco-style cioppino Italian fish stew, with fresh halibut, sea bass, Dungeness crab, shrimp, clams, mussels, and oysters in a savory tomato-based broth. Shrimp Risotto Simple shrimp risotto, in the Venetian style, with tiny pink shrimp, shallots, parsley and lemon zest. Eggplant Caponata Pasta Sweet-sour eggplant caponata makes a great sauce for pasta. Simple vegetarian dinner. Skillet Chicken Puttanesca This Skillet Chicken Puttanesca comes together so quickly, you'll hardly believe how good it tastes. Made with chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, fresh oregano, and plenty of olive oil. Ready in 30 minutes.