- 2 oz. Diced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Spanish onion or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 11 oz Ground beef
- 4 oz Ground pork
- 4 oz Ground Italian sausage
- 1 freshly ground clove
- Dash of freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb peeled and chopped tomatoes (or 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, packed in water)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the soffritto. Combine pancetta, onion, celery, and carrot in sauté pan with butter and cook over medium heat until onion turns pale gold.
- Add the beef, pork, sausage to the soffritto, and increase the heat to high; cook until browned. Sprinkle with the clove, cinnamon, and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. If you are using whole canned tomatoes, break them up as you add them to the sauce.
- Add milk and season with sea salt. Then turn down the heat and simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours. Stir at least every 20 minutes. Whenever the sauce gets too dry and starts sticking to the pan, just add 1/4 cup of water and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Can easily freeze for future use. Serve with pasta.
You may also like
Caponata, Eggplant Relish Eggplant caponata, diced eggplant cooked with onions, garlic, tomatoes, pinenuts, olives, raisins, capers, and parsley. A great Italian relish for bread sticks. Lasagna Classic lasagna recipe with ground beef, onion, Mozzarella, Ricotta, and Parmesan cheeses, tomato sauce and lasagna noodles. Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce White beans baked in tomato sauce with bacon, onions, garlic, honey, stock, and chili pepper flakes. Bolognese Meat Sauce Classic Italian Bolognese meat sauce recipe, for use with pasta dishes. Ground beef, pork, and Italian sausage, simmered for hours in a base of onion, celery, carrot, pancetta, and tomatoes. Seasoned with cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper.