- One 3-pound chuck roast, rinsed and dried
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes)
- 1 18-ounce bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (or 2 1/4 cups of your favorite homemade barbecue sauce)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sandwich or hamburger buns
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped (be careful not to touch your eyes or anywhere near your eyes after handling a Jalapeño pepper!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
- Make sauce with onions, tomatoes, BBQ sauce: In a large, heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, roughly chopping them in the pot. Add the barbecue sauce, increase heat to medium high and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef roast, simmer on low for 3 hours: Add the chuck roast. Bring to a low simmer, cover and slow cook until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours.
- Separate meat into small pieces: Remove the meat from the pot. Use a fork and knife to separate the roast into small pieces. Set aside.
- Reduce liquid in sauce: Increase the heat on the pot to medium/medium-high, uncover, and reduce the liquid until thick. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Return meat to sauce: Return the meat to the liquid in the pan. Warm both thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on buns.
You may also like
Chipotle Burger A hamburger flavored with chipotles in adobo, cumin and onion, served with jack cheese and avocados. Short-Rib Beef Stew with Ale Beef short-ribs, slow cooked and braised in brown ale. A hearty winter stew. Oxtail Pâté (Pate) Oxtail pate includes no liver, it is just made with the rich, flavorful meat of oxtails. Beef Roast Braised in Red Wine Not your everyday pot roast recipe! Beef roast braised in red wine, with pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomato, and garlic.