- 2 strips thick-cut bacon (about 3 ounces) cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage head, about 2 pounds, quartered, tough core removed, quarters sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large green tart apple
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces canned or jarred roasted chestnuts (NOT water chestnuts), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 hinly sliced green onions or chives
- Cook the bacon: Cook the bacon batons slowly in a large sauté pan (with cover) on medium low heat until most of the fat has rendered out, and the bacon is lightly browned, not crisp.
- Add onions: Add the sliced onions, increase the heat of the pan to medium high and cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened and lightly browned.
- Add cabbage, apples, vinegars, sugar: While the onions are cooking, peel the apple and cut it into 1/2-inch thick pieces. Once the onions are ready, add the sliced cabbage, chopped apple, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. Carefully toss to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer until the cabbage is cooked through and soft, about 40 minutes.
- Add chestnuts: Uncover the pan. Add the chopped roasted chestnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat to boil off excess moisture for a few minutes. Serve hot.
You may also like
Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage Traditional German and Austrian braised sweet sour red cabbage. Shredded red cabbage cooked with vinegar, sugar, and butter. Cabbage and Kale Slaw with Caraway Ranch Dressing Cabbage and kale coleslaw, with thinly sliced red onions, tossed with a tangy buttermilk caraway ranch dressing. Pork Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Traditional Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls. Cabbage leaves, stuffed with ground pork, onions, garlic, egg, rice and spices, braised in a tomato sauce. Classic Coleslaw Coleslaw with thinly sliced cabbage, carrots and green onion, seasoned with mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar dressing. The quintessential American picnic salad.