- 2 strips thick-cut bacon (about 3 ounces) cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage head, about 2 pounds, quartered, tough core removed, quarters sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large green tart apple
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces canned or jarred roasted chestnuts (NOT water chestnuts), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 hinly sliced green onions or chives
- Cook the bacon: Cook the bacon batons slowly in a large sauté pan (with cover) on medium low heat until most of the fat has rendered out, and the bacon is lightly browned, not crisp.
- Add onions: Add the sliced onions, increase the heat of the pan to medium high and cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened and lightly browned.
- Add cabbage, apples, vinegars, sugar: While the onions are cooking, peel the apple and cut it into 1/2-inch thick pieces. Once the onions are ready, add the sliced cabbage, chopped apple, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. Carefully toss to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer until the cabbage is cooked through and soft, about 40 minutes.
- Add chestnuts: Uncover the pan. Add the chopped roasted chestnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat to boil off excess moisture for a few minutes. Serve hot.
You may also like
Roasted Cabbage with Bacon Gremolata Roast cabbage topped with a crunchy gremolata of bacon, almonds, and parsley. SO GOOD! Serve as first course or alongside chicken or pot roast. Gluten-free. Buttered Cabbage with Caraway Delicious! Torn cabbage leaves, blanched in salted water, tossed with butter, caraway and celery seeds. Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad Perfect for a picnic potluck! With napa cabbage, radishes, snow peas, toasted almonds, and a creamy sesame mayo dressing. A real crowd pleaser! Cabbage Soup Healthy, simple cabbage soup, a nourishing soup with cabbage, chicken stock, onions and tomatoes.