- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1/3 pound thick-sliced bacon or slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces or batons
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 20-25 canned roasted chestnuts, quartered or roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (about 4 cutlets)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half and slice thinly, starting at the top of the sprout and working back toward the stem. Discard the hard tip of the stem side.
- Cut the bacon into pieces about 1/4 inch wide and put them in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When the bacon is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat (do not put down the drain, see how to render bacon fat). Turn up the heat to high, add the red onions. Cook until the onions begin to brown, add back the bacon.
- Add the chestnuts and brussels sprouts to the sauté pan with the bacon and onions. Add the chicken stock and toss to combine. Stir in about 1 teaspoon of salt, more or less to taste. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add pepper to taste. Serve hot with lemon wedges. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the sprouts right before you eat them.
You may also like
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate-Balsamic Glaze Roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with an easy pomegranate-balsamic glaze. Simple, festive side dish for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal. Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds Simple and delicious Brussels sprouts recipe with lightly steamed or boiled sprouts, mixed with sautéed onions, butter, and toasted almonds. Hoisin Glazed Brussels Sprouts Brussels sprouts steamed briefly and then stir-fried with a sweet and tangy hoisin glaze. Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Shallots Easy! Brussels Sprouts roasted with shallots, tossed with balsamic vinegar and toasted walnuts.