- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1/3 pound thick-sliced bacon or slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces or batons
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 20-25 canned roasted chestnuts, quartered or roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (about 4 cutlets)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half and slice thinly, starting at the top of the sprout and working back toward the stem. Discard the hard tip of the stem side.
- Cut the bacon into pieces about 1/4 inch wide and put them in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When the bacon is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat (do not put down the drain, see how to render bacon fat). Turn up the heat to high, add the red onions. Cook until the onions begin to brown, add back the bacon.
- Add the chestnuts and brussels sprouts to the sauté pan with the bacon and onions. Add the chicken stock and toss to combine. Stir in about 1 teaspoon of salt, more or less to taste. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add pepper to taste. Serve hot with lemon wedges. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the sprouts right before you eat them.
You may also like
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts Thinly sliced brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and onions, then tossed with roasted chestnuts, thyme and a little lemon juice. Brussels Sprouts Gratin Brussels sprouts blanched and baked in a cheesy white sauce with pancetta and gruyere. A perfect Thanksgiving side! Roasted Brussels Sprouts Brussels sprouts, oven-roasted with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Golden Beets and Brussels Sprouts Beautiful golden beets and Brussels sprouts. Roasted or boiled golden yellow beets with parboiled Brussels sprouts, sautéed together in olive oil, shallots and thyme, and topped with toasted almonds.