- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans
- In a medium sized heat-safe bowl (metal, ceramic, or glass), whisk together the egg yolks until well blended. Set aside.
- In a medium thick-bottomed saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter cook it, stirring constantly, until it just begins to brown. Add the brown sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar completely melts.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring to incorporate. It will foam up initially, so make sure you are using a pan with high enough sides. Heat until all of the sugar is completely dissolved. Do not let boil or the mixture may curdle.
- Whisk in hand, slowly pour half of the milk and sugar mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly to incorporate. Then add the warmed egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk sugar mixture.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden or heatproof rubber spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the mixture is chilling, preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay out the pecans on a roasting pan in a single layer. Bake for 6 minutes, until lightly toasted. Let cool. Once cool, roughly chop the pecans and set aside. Note, if you want an extra punch to this ice cream, brush the pecans with melted butter and sprinkle with salt before roasting.
- Once the ice cream mixture is thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 0 Once the ice cream has been formed in the ice cream maker, it will be fairly soft. Fold in the chopped pecans. Put in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours. If it has been frozen for more than a day, you may need to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften it before serving.
You may also like
Coffee Ice Cream Homemade coffee ice cream recipe using milk and cream infused with whole coffee beans. Best Chocolate Brownies The Perfect Chocolate Brownie! All from scratch. EASY to make and so much better than a box mix! Super chocolatey. Apricot Cherry Galette Beautiful apricot cherry rustic tart, lightly flavored with vanilla and lemon zest, easy tender flaky crust! Chewy Almond Squares Almond blondies! Chewy almond squares, easy to make, no need for a mixer.