- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, flesh diced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon of dried)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Waffle iron
- Brown the butter: Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the butter, whisking frequently. Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Honey-colored browned milk solids will begin to form. The butter should have a wonderful nutty aroma. Remove from heat. Add the thyme, whisking continuously. If using fresh thyme, the mixture will foam up a bit. (Note that it doesn't take much time to go from browned butter to burnt butter. You will want to remove the pan from the heat element and place it on a cool surface to help stop the cooking of the butter. If the butter burns, I recommend dumping it and starting over, something I've had to do on occasion when not paying close attention.)
- Brown the cubed squash in the butter: Add the cubed butternut squash pieces to the pan and return the pan to the burner, heating to medium high. Use a wooden or metal spoon to stir the squash pieces so they are all well coated with the butter thyme mixture. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread the squash pieces out in an even layer and let cook, without stirring, so that they brown a bit on one side (several minutes). Stir and spread the pieces out again and let cook without stirring so more sides get browned.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook: Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let cook until the squash is tender, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how big you cut the pieces. Add more salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with a bit more chopped fresh thyme before serving.
You may also like
Spicy Lamb Stew with Butternut Squash Spicy lamb stew with butternut squash. Lean lamb shoulder braised in tomato sauce with butternut squash, garbanzo beans, and garlic. Spiced with paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Curried Butternut Squash Soup Great curried butternut squash soup! With onion and lightly spiced with curry powder, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Sauté Great side dish for the holidays! Roasted cubes of butternut squashed tossed with balsamic sautéed onions, kale, pecans, dried cranberries. Butternut Squash with Browned Butter and Thyme Butternut squash cubes, seared in browned butter, tossed with thyme. Easy Thanksgiving stovetop side! The browned butter brings out the most amazing flavor in the butternut squash.