- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds (or 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (or 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (or 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 to 5 cups, packed, 1/4-inch wide sliced green cabbage (from about 1 small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage)
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon salt (more or less depending on the saltiness of your stock)
- 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 a large head)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup, packed, thinly sliced curly or lacinato kale (center tough stems removed before slicing the leaves)
- Grind spices if using whole spices: If using whole spices (coriander, fennel, cumin), grind them in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder until well ground.
- Sauté onions and spices: Heat olive oil and butter in a 4-quart, thick bottomed pot on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir in the ground spices. Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and tomatoes: Add the sliced cabbage to the pot and stir to mix the cabbage with the onions. If you are using unsalted stock, sprinkle the cabbage with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the canned whole tomatoes, with their juices, to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add stock, simmer till done: Add chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a simmer and taste for salt. Add more salt to taste. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.
You may also like
Asian Coleslaw Asian coleslaw with thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, toasted peanuts, with a rice vinegar, peanut, sesame dressing. Colcannon Irish mashed potatoes mixed with greens and scallions and lots of butter and cream. Italian Sausage and Cabbage Stew EASY, hearty and simple Italian peasant stew with cabbage, parsley and Italian sausage. Buttered Cabbage with Caraway Delicious! Torn cabbage leaves, blanched in salted water, tossed with butter, caraway and celery seeds.