- 3 pounds garnet or ruby sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1-1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp butter
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Boil the sweet potatoes 5 to 10 min: Place the cut sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with a couple inches of cold water. Bring to a boil and add a generous pinch of salt. Boil the sweet potatoes for 5-10 minutes, or until you can just pierce them with the tines of a fork, but not fully cooked (you will continue to cook in the next step). Drain and set aside.
- Simmer remaining ingredients: Mix the remaining ingredients (orange juice, brown sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, butter) in a shallow, wide sauté pan and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add sweet potatoes, cook until sauce reduces to a syrup: Add the sweet potatoes and coat well with the sauce. Boil on high heat until the sauce reduces to a syrup, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
You may also like
Mustard Greens Peppery Mustard Greens simply sautéed with onions, garlic, and olive oil and a dash of sesame oil to finish. Dirty Rice Classic Louisiana Cajun dirty rice, a rice pilaf made with the holy trinity of onions, celery, and peppers, and ground pork and chicken livers. Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes Sweet potatoes, boiled in water, mashed and mixed with bourbon whisky, butter, and sugar. Baked Asparagus with Parmesan Baked Asparagus with olive oil and parmesan cheese. Easy and elegant!