- 1 globe eggplant - about 1 lb, diced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4-6 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 to 3 Tbsp small capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 5 cups of diced honeydew (about 2 1/2 - 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup of mint leaves, well packed
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Toss the diced eggplant with about 2 tablespoons salt and put into a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a plate that just about fits the bowl and weigh it down with a heavy can. Let this sit for 1 hour. Drain the eggplant, rinse with fresh water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery, season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel, turn the heat to high and add the remaining olive oil. Let this heat until the oil is nearly smoking. Add the eggplant and spread it out in as thin a layer as you can in the skillet. Let this sizzle for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let it sit for a full minute before stirring again. Cook like this for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the onion-celery mixture, the tomatoes, olives, pine nuts, capers and red pepper flakes. Stir well. Add the vinegar, sugar and tomato paste and stir once more. Cook, stirring occasionally until eggplant is very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Mix in the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Caponata can be refrigerated, covered, up to 5 days.
You may also like
Oatmeal Muffins with Raisins, Dates, and Walnuts Tender oatmeal muffins studded with fruit and nuts, and flavored with buttermilk and cinnamon. Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup BEST homemade chicken noodle soup! Made from scratch, light and nourishing. All the goodness from the chicken in one pot of soup. Eggnog Pound Cake Crowd-pleasing holiday eggnog pound cake with eggnog, dried cranberries, brandy, nutmeg and orange zest. Sweet Potato & Pork Thanksgiving Stuffing (Paleo, Gluten-Free) Gluten-free and Paleo Thanksgiving stuffing! Sweet potatoes, ground pork, and onions with a crunchy nut topping. Make-ahead!