- 3 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3 medium yellow onions sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 8 cups)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz bottle) Belgian beer
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Pat beef dry with paper towels, then season well with salt and pepper. On the stove top, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot, almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the meat, without stirring, about 3 minutes on each side (do not stir, give the meat an opportunity to brown well). Transfer browned beef to a separate bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to dutch oven; reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; cook until onions are browned, about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay, browned beef with any of the accumulated juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, let cook for 2-3 hours until beef is fork tender. (Alternatively can cook in the oven at 300°F.) Stir occasionally, scraping up anything that is sticking to the bottom of the pan. About half an hour before it finishes cooking, add the mustard and brown sugar. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Discard thyme and bay leaf. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can serve plain, with potatoes, over noodles, or over French fries. Whatever ale you have used in the cooking makes for a great drink accompaniment to the stew.
You may also like
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew Slow cooked Guinness beef stew with carrots, parsnips and Guinness stout. Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms Hearty beef and barley stew with mushrooms and root vegetables. Perfect cold weather stew! Irish Beef Stew Beef stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. An excellent, hearty stew. Carbonnade Beef and Beer Stew Carbonnade Belgian beef stew recipe, with beef, onions, and Belgian ale, and seasoned with bay and thyme.