- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (6-7 large carrots), peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 large strips of zest from an orange
- Chopped chives, parsley, dill or fennel for garnish
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp juniper berries
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 6-8 cloves
- 3-5 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Sauté onions and carrots: Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions and carrot, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let the onions or carrots brown. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the carrots and onions as they cook.
- Add stock and water, ginger, and strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the strips of orange zest and discard.
- Purée soup: Working in small batches, pour the soup into a blender and purée until completely smooth. Only fill the blender bowl a third full with the hot liquid and keep one hand pressing down on the cap of the blender to keep it from popping off. Add more salt to taste. (You will need more salt if you are using homemade unsalted stock or unsalted butter.) Garnish with chopped chives, parsley, or fennel fronds.
You may also like
Chicken Soup with Ginger and Shiitake Mushrooms A simple, light Chinese chicken soup with chicken thighs, shiitake mushrooms and ginger. Pumpkin Ginger Nut Muffins Best Pumpkin Muffins! Spiced with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. EASY Kale with Seaweed, Sesame and Ginger Wilted kale recipe with arame seaweed, garlic, sesame, and fresh minced ginger. How to Peel, Chop, and Grate Ginger How to easily peel, slice, julienne, chop, mince, and grate ginger root.