- 1/2 of a star anise star
- 10-12 whole cloves
- 6-7 whole allspice
- 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon bark (or 2 short sticks)
- 6-7 whole white peppercorns
- 1 cardamon pod opened to the seeds
- 1 cup water
- 4-6 cups whole milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons of a high quality full-bodied broad-leaf black tea (Ceylon, or
- In a 2-qt saucepan, add spices to 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat; let steep for 5-20 minutes, depending on how strong a spice flavor you want.
- Add 4-6 cups of whole milk to the water and spices. If you don't have whole milk, you can also use non-fat or low-fat milk, just add some cream to it, a few tablespoons. Bring the milk and spice mixture just to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add the tea to the milk and let steep for 5 to 10 minutes to taste. (Option at this point - reheat to a simmer and remove from heat.) You can add sugar at this point, or serve without sugar and let people put the amount of sugar in they want. Traditionally, sugar is added before serving.
- Strain into a pot. Serve. Add sugar to taste.
You may also like
Crema di Limoncello Homemade limoncello. A favorite Italian digestif, rich as custard and strong enough to knock you down. Everclear infused with plenty of lemon zest then swirled together with milk, sugar, and vanilla. Cranberry Limeade Zesty homemade limeade recipe with a bit of cranberry juice for added flavor and color. Green Mojito Smoothie This non-alcoholic mojito smoothie will change your mind about green smoothies forever! Made with coconut water, kale, pineapple, mint, and lime. Strawberry Milk Sweet, pink, creamy, and delicious, strawberry milk is a huge hit with the kids, and so easy to make too.