- 2 star anise star
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole white peppercorns
- 4 cardamom pods, opened to seeds
- 1/4 cup full-bodied black tea (Ceylon or English Breakfast)
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups heavy cream (divided, 1 cup and 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks (see how to separate eggs)
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 3/4 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Into a heavy saucepan put the 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of the cream and the chai spices - star anise, cloves, allspice, cinnamon sticks, white peppercorns, and cardamom pods, and a pinch of salt. Heat the mixture until steamy (not boiling) and hot to the touch. Lower the heat to warm, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Return the saucepan to the stove, stirring the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon so that you can run your finger across the coating and have the coating not run. This can take about 10 minutes. The minute this happens the mixture should be removed from heat immediately, and poured through the sieve over the ice bath to stop the cooking (step 6).
- Pour the custard through the strainer (from step 2) and stir into the cold cream to stop the cooking.
- Once initially chilled in the ice bath, chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (at least a couple of hours). Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Store in an airtight container in your freezer for several hours before eating. Note that the ice cream will be quite soft coming out of the ice cream maker. It will continue harden in your freezer. If stored for more than a day, you may need to let it sit for a few minutes to soften before attempting to scoop it.
You may also like
Plum Sorbet Simple Plum Sorbet made with fresh sliced plums, lemon juice, sugar, and a little Grand Marnier. Cherry Clafoutis Fresh cherries baked in a custard-like base with slivered almonds, almond and vanilla extract. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Easy to make blueberry frozen yogurt! Made with fresh or frozen blueberries. Lighter than ice cream and packs a blueberry flavor punch! Walnut Snowball Cookies Festive holiday snowball cookies made with finely chopped walnuts, flour and vanilla, rolled into balls and dusted with powdered sugar.