- 3 cups pitted fresh cherries
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar (more or less depending on how sweet the cherries and how sweet you want your frozen yogurt to be)
- 1/4 cup whole milk (can substitute half-and-half or cream for creamier version)
- 1 1/2 cups full fat yogurt (if you are using non or low-fat yogurt, add 2 Tbsp heavy cream)
- 2 Tbsp almond liqueuer such as Amaretto (optional)
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 3/4 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place the pitted cherries, lemon juice, and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. While the mixture is heating, use a potato masher to mash up the berries in the pot which will release some of their moisture. When all of the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Place contents in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Mix cherry purée, milk, and yogurt together in a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour; the longer the mixture chills the better (can chill overnight).
- Right before processing in an ice cream maker, add the almond liqueur if using. The alcohol in the liqueur will help keep the frozen yogurt smooth, but it is not necessary. Process the mixture in your ice cream maker for 25 minutes. You can eat it right away (it will be rather soft) or put it in the freezer for a few hours to harden up a bit.
You may also like
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies Soft and chewy sugar cookies, ready for a birthday party, potluck, or bake sale! Blackberry Pie The best blackberry pie ever. No kidding! All butter crust, loads of blackberries, spiced with a little lemon, cinnamon, and almond extract. Yum. Caramel Apples Traditional caramel apples recipe. Apples on a stick, dipped in delicious caramel sauce. Perfect for Halloween! Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, made with fresh mint, milk, cream, a custard base, and semi-sweet or dark chocolate.