- 1 1/2 cups pitted ripe sweet cherries (from about 3/4 lb cherries)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto, cherry liqueur, or rum (optional)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine, keep in freezer until used
- 12-cup bundt pan (I have this one)
- Heat cherries, milk, 1 cup cream, sugar, salt, then purée: Put cherries, milk, one cup of the cream, sugar, and salt into a medium saucepan. Heat on medium heat until the mixture is steamy, then lower the heat to warm and just let sit for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a blender, or use an immersion blender, and carefully purée. (Careful because you are dealing with a hot liquid. Make sure you hold the cap down on the top of the blender while puréeing.)
- Stir in remaining cream and chill: Put mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup of cream. Chill for several hours in the refrigerator until completely cold. (Can also place bowl over an ice bath, to speed up the cooling process.)
- Stir in lemon juice and Amaretto: Before putting the mixture into your ice cream maker, stir in the lemon juice and the Amaretto or other liqueur if you are using. Note that you can skip the alcohol if you want, but the addition of it will help the ice cream from getting too icy, and the amaretto can add a nice flavor boost to the ice cream.
- Churn with your ice cream maker: Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Fold in chocolate chips and freeze: Once the ice cream has completed churning, the ice cream should be pretty soft. Gently fold in the finely chopped chocolate. Put in an airtight container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours.
You may also like
BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with browned butter, chocolate chips, and pecans. Cowboy Cookies Laura Bush's kitchen sink cowboy cookies, with oatmeal, pecans, coconut, and chocolate chips. Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Orange Pecan Cookies Oatmeal raisin cookies with dark chocolate chips, orange zest, pecans, and browned butter. Cherry Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips Homemade cherry ice cream made with fresh, sweet cherries, milk, cream, sugar, with shaved bittersweet chocolate folded in.