- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 9-inch pie or tart pan, 9-inch square baking dish, or other similarly sized baking dish
- Heat the oven to 350F. Place a baking sheet near the stove, ready for the chicken.
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Pour the flour onto a large plate and dredge the chicken breasts until well coated. Shake off the excess.
- Brown the chicken: In a large skillet over medium high-heat, heat the butter and oil. When the butter has melted and looks foamy, add the chicken. (Work in batches if your pan isn't big enough so that you don't crowd the pan.) Brown the chicken for 3 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Finish the chicken in the oven: Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes (longer if the chicken breasts are thick), or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast registers 165 degrees. If the chicken is done before the sauce, transfer it to a serving platter and tent it loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Make the sauce: While the chicken finishes cooking, return the skillet to medium heat and add the wine. Be careful since the oil in the pan will sputter a little when you add the wine. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the wine is reduced by about half. Add the cream and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the mustard, capers and parsley, reserving a little parsley for sprinkling over top. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
- Serve the chicken: Place each chicken breast on a plate, drizzle with the sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
You may also like
Broccoli, Chicken, and Almond Sauté Broccoli, first blanched, then sautéed briefly with sliced grilled chicken, toasted almonds, sesame oil, and red chile flakes. Avgolemono Soup An easy version of the classic Greek avgolemono soup of chicken with rice or orzo pasta finished with egg and lemon. Sweet and Sour Chicken Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken, stir-fried with bell peppers and pineapple chunks. Chicken Florentine Pesto Pasta A marriage of traditional chicken Florentine with pasta and basil pesto. Sliced sautéed chicken breasts with spinach, garlic, white wine, cream, pesto, and pasta.