- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 9-inch pie or tart pan, 9-inch square baking dish, or other similarly sized baking dish
- Heat the oven to 350F. Place a baking sheet near the stove, ready for the chicken.
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Pour the flour onto a large plate and dredge the chicken breasts until well coated. Shake off the excess.
- Brown the chicken: In a large skillet over medium high-heat, heat the butter and oil. When the butter has melted and looks foamy, add the chicken. (Work in batches if your pan isn't big enough so that you don't crowd the pan.) Brown the chicken for 3 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Finish the chicken in the oven: Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes (longer if the chicken breasts are thick), or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast registers 165 degrees. If the chicken is done before the sauce, transfer it to a serving platter and tent it loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Make the sauce: While the chicken finishes cooking, return the skillet to medium heat and add the wine. Be careful since the oil in the pan will sputter a little when you add the wine. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the wine is reduced by about half. Add the cream and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the mustard, capers and parsley, reserving a little parsley for sprinkling over top. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
- Serve the chicken: Place each chicken breast on a plate, drizzle with the sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
You may also like
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Skinless boneless chicken breasts marinated with lime and cilantro and grilled. Marc’s Cashew Chicken Chicken marinated in peanut oil chili powder, tamari, and honey, then fried with cashews, onions, and mushrooms. Served over rice. Chicken Cutlets with Caper Sauce Easy chicken cutlets with caper sauce. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin, seared, served with a caper sauce over arugula, fennel and shaved Parmesan. 1 pan, cooks in 15 minutes! Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta with penne, sautéed strips of chicken breast, broth, cream, goat cheese, parmesan, lemon, and asparagus! Easy midweek meal, perfect for spring!