- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets*
- 3 teaspoons your favorite yellow curry powder or combination of curry spices (such as garam masala)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, rice bran oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional), placed in a bowl and covered with water to plump them
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream or a mixture of plain full-fat yogurt (or Greek yogurt) and whipping cream or sour cream
- Minced fresh cilantro and toasted slivered almonds (optional) for garnish
- Cut the chicken cutlets and rub them with curry powder: Cut the chicken breast cutlets in half or into thirds or quarters to make smaller serving pieces (they'll cook more quickly too). Sprinkle them on both sides lightly with salt (about 1/4 teaspoon). Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the curry powder, lightly rubbing the curry powder into the chicken on all sides.
- Sauté the onions, with raisins and curry powder: Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while the onions are cooking. Drain the raisins from the water and add them to the onions. Lower the heat to medium and sprinkle the onions with the remaining 2 teaspoons of curry powder. Continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Sauté the chicken: Push the onions to one side of the skillet. Place the chicken pieces in the pan in a single layer. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and just cooked through. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. (Bunch them together so they retain their heat.)
- Add sour cream or yogurt: Add the sour cream and/or yogurt mixture and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture has heated through. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little water to thin it. If you are using yogurt, or low-fat sour cream, be careful not to let the mixture simmer or it may curdle! Return the chicken to the skillet (and any juices from the plate the chicken has been resting on), turn over the pieces in the sauce. When all is heated through, it's ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro and toasted slivered almonds and serve alone or over rice.
You may also like
One-Pan Paprika Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes One-pan chicken dinner with potatoes, onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and an easy paprika sauce. Dairy-free, gluten-free. 1 hour start to finish. Chicken Stew with Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce (Fesenjan) Persian chicken stew made with chicken breasts or thighs, slowly cooked with ground toasted walnuts and pomegranate molasses. Grilled Sausage and Mushroom Bowls Grilled sausages and mushrooms over a bowl of grains makes the perfect summer meal! Try millet for something new, or stick with rice or quinoa in your bowl. Chicken Enchiladas Verdes Chicken enchiladas with a salsa verde sauce made with tomatillos, serrano chile peppers, and sour cream. Served with chopped onion, Mexican cheese, and cilantro.