- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets*
- 3 teaspoons your favorite yellow curry powder or combination of curry spices (such as garam masala)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, rice bran oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional), placed in a bowl and covered with water to plump them
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream or a mixture of plain full-fat yogurt (or Greek yogurt) and whipping cream or sour cream
- Minced fresh cilantro and toasted slivered almonds (optional) for garnish
- Cut the chicken cutlets and rub them with curry powder: Cut the chicken breast cutlets in half or into thirds or quarters to make smaller serving pieces (they'll cook more quickly too). Sprinkle them on both sides lightly with salt (about 1/4 teaspoon). Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the curry powder, lightly rubbing the curry powder into the chicken on all sides.
- Sauté the onions, with raisins and curry powder: Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while the onions are cooking. Drain the raisins from the water and add them to the onions. Lower the heat to medium and sprinkle the onions with the remaining 2 teaspoons of curry powder. Continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Sauté the chicken: Push the onions to one side of the skillet. Place the chicken pieces in the pan in a single layer. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and just cooked through. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. (Bunch them together so they retain their heat.)
- Add sour cream or yogurt: Add the sour cream and/or yogurt mixture and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture has heated through. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little water to thin it. If you are using yogurt, or low-fat sour cream, be careful not to let the mixture simmer or it may curdle! Return the chicken to the skillet (and any juices from the plate the chicken has been resting on), turn over the pieces in the sauce. When all is heated through, it's ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro and toasted slivered almonds and serve alone or over rice.
You may also like
Chicken Stew with Onions, Tomatoes, and Dijon Easy and hearty chicken stew recipe with loads of red onions and tomatoes! Seasoned with Dijon mustard. Chicken Salad with Roasted Bell Peppers and Toasted Almonds A cool twist on a simple chicken salad, with poached chicken breasts, roasted red bell peppers, toasted almonds, garlic and parsley. Marc’s Cashew Chicken Chicken marinated in peanut oil chili powder, tamari, and honey, then fried with cashews, onions, and mushrooms. Served over rice. Mediterranean Chicken Salad Easy, healthy Mediterranean style chicken salad! With olive oil, vinegar, olives, capers, onions and fresh herbs.