- 3-4 pounds chicken legs, thighs or wings
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil, or melted butter (or ghee)
- Lemons or limes for serving
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp hot paprika, or 1-2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (about 4 cutlets)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat the drumsticks in the peanut oil or melted butter, then sprinkle with salt.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. In a large bowl, mix half of the spice mix with the chicken, then arrange the drumsticks in a casserole dish lined with enough foil to make a package; you will be cooking these legs covered for most of the time.
- Sprinkle more of the spice mix over the drumsticks. You can use all of the spice mix, or stop whenever you want. The more mix, the spicier the chicken. Fold over the foil to seal up the drumsticks and bake for 90 minutes.
- At 90 minutes, open up the foil packet to let the chicken continue to cook uncovered. Continue cooking for at least another 15 minutes, and as long as you like. I like the meat to almost fall off the bone on my drumsticks, so I cook uncovered for another 30-45 minutes.
- To serve, baste with a little of the sauce that forms at the bottom of the pan, and use the rest to flavor some rice or flatbread. Squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the chicken right before you serve it. A green salad is a good side dish, too.
You may also like
Chicken Stew with Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce (Fesenjan) Persian chicken stew made with chicken breasts or thighs, slowly cooked with ground toasted walnuts and pomegranate molasses. Chicken Curry Salad A great chicken curry salad recipe for potlucks or picnics. Chicken, curry powder, onion, raisins, apple, and cilantro. Mayo optional. Grilled Sausage and Mushroom Bowls Grilled sausages and mushrooms over a bowl of grains makes the perfect summer meal! Try millet for something new, or stick with rice or quinoa in your bowl. Salsa Verde Chicken Bake Boneless, skinless chicken breasts baked in tomatillo salsa verde sauce, topped with melted jack cheese. Easy!