- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms (dried is much preferable to fresh in this recipe)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, preferably bone-in, cut into chunks
- A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free version)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 9 boneless chicken thighs (skinless or skin-on, your preference), if large pieces, then cut in half
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Soak dried mushrooms: Soak the dried mushrooms in the hot water for 20 minutes. Use a bowl or a smaller pot to keep the mushrooms submerged in the water.
- Marinate chicken: While the mushrooms are soaking, mix the soy, sugar, salt and corn starch in a large bowl. Make sure there are no corn starch lumps. Add the chicken and ginger to the bowl, toss to coat with the marinade, and set aside.
- Slice mushrooms, add to chicken: When the mushrooms have softened, remove from the water (saving the soaking liquid) and slice thin. Add the mushrooms into the bowl with the chicken. If the soaking water has grit in it, pour the soaking water though a fine-meshed sieve lined with a paper towel into another bowl.
- Cook chicken, mushrooms with mushroom soaking water: Put the chicken mushroom mixture, and the mushroom soaking liquid into a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a bare simmer, cover the pot and cook gently for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
You may also like
African Chicken Peanut Stew A hearty West African-inspired stew of chicken thighs and legs, sweet potatoes and peanuts that is perfect for a chilly day. Baked Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic Quick and easy! Chicken thighs baked with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary. Skillet Chermoula Chicken Chicken thighs with spicy chermoula sauce, a North African parsley and cilantro pesto. Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Chicken thighs, slathered in herb vinaigrette, roasted on bed of sliced potatoes and shallots.