- 10 cardamom pods (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom seeds)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 whole 4 lb (2 kg)chicken, cut into parts
- 9 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups roughly chopped cilantro, including tender stems, loosely packed (about 120 g)
- 4-5 cups broth (you will make this in the recipe)
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 pounds chard, ribs removed, leaves cut crosswise into 1 inch strips
- 6-quart electric or stovetop pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot)
- The Broth
- Start making the broth: If you are using cardamom pods, break them open in a mortar and pestle or with the handle of a chef's knife. Crack the black peppercorns as well. Put the crushed cardamom and black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, onion, lemon, and chicken into a large pot. Add 9 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Skim any any frothy scum that collects on the surface of the broth.
- Remove the chicken: After about 20 minutes, remove the chicken breast pieces and set aside. Once the broth has cooked for 45 minutes to an hour (the timing doesn't need to be precise), turn off the heat and remove the chicken legs and thighs from the pot.
- Strain the broth: Strain the broth through a fine-meshed strainer and reserve 4-5 cups. Add the salt to this both and taste. Add more salt to taste. Save the remaining broth for another recipe (it will freeze well).
- Strip off usable meat from chicken: Remove and discard the chicken skin from the chicken parts . Strip off all the usable meat from the chicken and shred it by hand. Set it aside. Discard the bones. The Stew
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic cloves, ground coriander, salt, white pepper and stir to make a paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant, stirring often. Add half the cilantro and cook until it wilts.
- Add the broth (four cups makes a rather dry stew, 5 cups is a little looser) heat it to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, mix the vinegar, lemon juice and red onion together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Stir in the chard leaves a little at a time, adding more only when the previous batch has wilted. Add the shredded chicken and cook everything for 8-10 minutes.
- While the stew is in its final simmer, heat the last Tbsp of butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Wilt the remaining cilantro in the butter and cook for a minute or two. To serve, add the cilantro and the onion mixture to the stew, mix well and add salt to taste. Serve with bread, rice or potatoes.
You may also like
Chicken Stew with Coriander, Cilantro, and Chard Delicious Chicken Stew! Inspired by Middle Eastern flavors with chard, coriander and cilantro. Chicken and Dumplings Classic chicken and dumplings recipe, a hearty chicken and vegetable stew with homemade dumplings. Chicken Stew with Onions, Tomatoes, and Dijon Easy and hearty chicken stew recipe with loads of red onions and tomatoes! Seasoned with Dijon mustard. Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter Style Chicken) Chicken cacciatore, an Italian hunter-style chicken braised in a tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic, and white wine.