- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2-4 chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo), depending on how much chile heat you like, minced, plus 1 Tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices jack cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Chipotle hot sauce to taste (we use Tabasco brand)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 poblano chile peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled and sliced (optional)*
- Mix the ground beef, grated onion, minced chipotles, the adobo sauce, salt, cumin and black pepper together in a large bowl. Mix gently, just until the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix or the burgers will be tough.
- Form 4-6 patties from the burger mix, about 1/4 pound to 1/3 pound each. Tip: form the patties with a little indentation in the center and as they cook the patties won't bulge as much in the center.
- Grill the burgers over medium-high heat (with the grill lid down) until done, about 6-7 minutes per side, depending on how hot your grill is. Cook until the internal temperature is 140°F for medium rare, or 160°F for well done. When the burgers are almost ready, place a slice of jack cheese on each patty and close the grill lid. The cheese should melt in a little over a minute.
- If you want toasted burger buns with your burgers, toast them after you've flipped the burgers. Watch that the buns don't burn; when they are lightly toasted move them to a tray near the grill. When the burgers are ready, place them on the buns. Top with slices of avocado, then some of the roasted poblanos (if using) a little cilantro and hot sauce.
You may also like
Danish Pork Burgers Danish frikadeller pork burgers recipe. Ground pork mixed with eggs, crumbled saltine crakers and onions, shaped into patties and fried. Serve with Dijon mustard. Jamaican Jerk Burgers Spice up your hamburger with the feisty flavors of Jamaican jerk, habanero, allspice, cinnamon and ginger. Served with a citrus coleslaw. Spicy Grilled Turkey Burger with Coleslaw Spicy grilled turkey burger served with tomatoes, sweet pickles, and coleslaw. Not your everyday turkey burger, these have fresh chives, bread crumbs, basil and Tabasco sauce. Blue Cheese Burgers Fabulous grilled blue cheese burgers, with ground beef, mustard, garlic, green onions, and tangy creamy blue cheese.