- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- extra sugar and ground cinnamon for coating
- Jelly roll pan (10x15-inches)
- Whisk together the flour and spices: Vigorously whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar, add egg, vanilla, honey: Beat the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the honey, egg, and vanilla extract and beat for another minute on medium until well incorporated. Be sure to pause halfway through to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet: Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture and mix until they are incorporated into the dough and the dough is smooth.
- Work dough into logs, wrap in plastic, chill: Lightly flour a work surface and divide the dough into two equal parts. Lightly roll them out into logs about 2-inches in diameter. Place them on pieces of plastic wrap and wrap them up and carefully smooth the logs out. Place in the freezer and chill at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line baking sheets: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Make cinnamon sugar: Set aside a small bowl and add some cinnamon and sugar in whatever proportions you enjoy best (I find 1/4 cup of sugar to a teaspoon of cinnamon is perfect for me, but taste and go with what works for you).
- Slice dough into rounds, press in cinnamon sugar: Slice the dough into 1/4-inch rounds with a sharp knife. Take each round and press one side into the cinnamon sugar you mixed earlier. Place the dough round sugar-side up. Give the cookies plenty of space as they will spread when they bake.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-13 minutes: Bake at 350°F for 10-13 minutes or until a dark golden-brown. Be sure to watch them very carefully after 10 minutes as they can burn very quickly. The cookies will puff up a bit and remain soft once out of the oven. Don't worry as they will become crisp as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
You may also like
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies Soft, chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies! Made with dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and fresh ginger. Pimento Cheese Pimento Cheese! Southern staple, a spreadable dip for celery, sandwiches, crackers, with pimentos, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese. No-Bake Cheesecake This no-bake vanilla cheesecake is so light and creamy! Top with strawberries, chocolate, or simple whipped cream. Perfect for any dinner party or holiday gathering. Raspberry Walnut Tart Raspberry tart with a shortbread crust, chopped walnuts, raspberries, and custardy filling.