- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter for the waffle iron, optional
- Waffle iron
- Waffle iron
- Warm the oven to 250F. Set a wire metal cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and place in the oven. (You can also toast waffles directly on the oven rack, if you prefer.)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and butter. Whisk in the eggs.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour. Continue gently stirring just until you see no more streaks of dry flour.
- Rest the batter while your waffle iron warms: Cover the batter with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for at least five minutes while you warm the waffle iron. The waffle iron is ready when a drop of water sizzles on contact with the griddle.
- Make the waffles: Brush the waffle iron with melted butter, if you like. This helps give your waffles a golden color and prevents sticking, but isn't crucial for the recipe. Scoop 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into each grid of the waffle iron and cook until golden, according to your waffle iron's instructions.
- Transfer the cooked waffles to the oven: When the waffles are done, transfer them to the cooling rack on the baking sheet in the oven. Place them in one single layer so that they crisp evenly on top and bottom, and so steam isn't trapped between layers. Let them toast for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook the remaining waffles: Transfer each batch of waffles to the oven as they are ready. Waffles that have been toasting for a few minutes can now be stacked to make room for the following batches.
- Serve the waffles: Serve the waffles as soon as all batches are made and crisped. Let leftover waffles cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat briefly in the toaster until warmed and crisped.
You may also like
Shrimp Quesadilla Shrimp quesadilla! Flour tortillas toasted with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and pan-seared shrimp with onions, cilantro, avocados Tomatillo Scrambled Eggs Huevos en salsa verde! Eggs scrambled in a green chile sauce made with jalapeño, tomatillos, and onions. Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Torta Delicious potato torta with Yukon Gold potatoes, smoked salmon, leeks, dill, eggs, and cream. Perfect for a Sunday brunch! Mini Muffin Frittatas Mini frittatas made in mini muffin tins, with eggs, feta cheese, mushrooms, onions, and chard.